As homeowners, we need to take care of our homes and learn to do simple repair and maintenance works. However, because of our busy work schedules and overall busy environment, our inner handyman can’t find the time to maintain some parts of the house. Without maintenance and occasional repair, many parts of our home fail to operate properly – this includes our gutters. Eventually, some parts of our house will fail but we can lessen the damage by doing regular and routine maintenance. This would also save us money as well.
Most homeowners don’t know how important it is to properly maintain home gutters. What most of them think is that it only serves as water drainage system for the roof. I will tell you that it isn’t. It’s actually an integral part of the house. Leaky or damaged gutters will cost you a lot of money in expensive repairs if they are not fixed properly.
Here are the main functions of the gutter system:
• Protects the roof • Protects exterior walls, windows and doors • Protects the landscape • Protects foundation from water damage • Prevents water accumulation in the basement
Basically, it is very critical to take care of your gutter properly. Keeping your gutters in top condition at all times is a good decision as it will protect the overall integrity of your home.
Obviously, gutter systems are prone to wear and tear, just like any parts of your house – even more so as they are exposed to extreme weather and other outside damage. When you feel like your gutter system is failing, a quick call to a gutter repair company should help you diagnose the problem. One of the most obvious signs of gutter failure is water leakage on the wall. If you notice seeping of water on your walls, you most likely have a damaged gutter. Failure to quickly fix this will result in overall decrease in foundation strength and integrity.
Here are some tips to ensure your gutter system is in top working condition:
1. Look under your gutters to check if there are any cracks, leaks, blockages or broken brackets. Make sure that all pipes and brackets are placed correctly to maximize water drainage capacity.
2. Get a gutter guard to prevent your gutters from being clogged easily. Make sure to do regular checkup as well since gutter guards will only block bigger size debris. Regular cleanups are still needed with gutter guard, just not as frequently.
3. Ask a professional company to do yearly or seasonal gutter maintenance for you. Ask advice on how to properly maintain your gutters or ask about roofing advice in general. A checkup is also recommended as they can spot gutter damage easily.
4. Make sure that all downspouts are free from blockages and any debris to ensure that water flows freely. Don’t forget to check the ground drains and gullies for any blockages as well.
Having a busy schedule does not excuse us from the responsibility of maintaining our gutter system. A quick checkup of the gutter system every once in a while is all it takes to ensure top working condition of the gutters.
However, if you are too busy working, you can easily hire someone or some company to do the maintenance for you. It is a quick and easy way to ensure that your gutter system is working perfectly all year-round.
Now that your home is remodeled and looks amazing call Carpet cleaner Colleyville to make your floors look just as good!